|Portrayed by||Bruno Gunn|
- "Brutus, a volunteer from District 2, who must be at least forty and apparently can't wait to get back in the arena. "
- ―Katniss watching Brutus' reaping[src]
Brutus was named seemingly perfectly as it mirrors his brutality, animal-like nature and strength. He is believed to be very skilled as Haymitch was surprised that even he wanted to team up with Katniss after seeing her skills with a bow. When Brutus came of age, he volunteered to take part in the 48th Hunger Games. He was a Career Tribute, part of the main pack, and won his Games fairly close to the time fellow District 2 Tribute, Lyme, won hers. Both Lyme and Brutus became mentors for later Tributes, possibly including Enobaria.
75th Hunger GamesEdit
When the time came for the third Quarter Quell, the victors were the chosen tributes once again to show that even they do not have power over the Capitol. Brutus happily volunteered to partake in the 75th Hunger Games, saying he couldn't wait to get back into the arena, along with fellow victor, Enobaria.
TrainingEditDuring training, Brutus and Peeta got on each other's good side. He was shown training at the spear throwing station with Peeta and Chaff. When Brutus saw Katniss' skill with a bow and arrow along with her combined strength and tactile knowledge, Brutus expressed interest in an alliance with the two to Haymitch. Katniss turned down his offer and told Haymitch that they should go into the arena without any allies.
During the interviews with each of the tributes, Brutus did not try to express any anger or feelings of betrayal, but he did reluctanly join hands with the other victors as a chain symbolizing their strength. He wore a silver chestplate, a black pair of shorts and black boots.
During the GamesEdit
At the Cornucopia he was situated in the pedestal between the District 5 male and Katniss and when the gong sounds he jumped to his spoke and ran to the Cornucopia. Inside the arena, Brutus, along with Enobaria, Cashmere and Gloss approached the Cornucopia, where he had shown a unique way of dodging Katniss' arrows with his belt. However, he, along with the other Careers, were driven off by Katniss and Finnick who got there before the Careers. While Katniss and Finnick left with Mags and Peeta, Brutus and the other Careers stayed and helped massacre the competition. He fought with Chaff and killed Woof and the District 9 female.Together, Brutus, Enobaria, Cashmere and Gloss followed the Rebel Alliance's tributes in the arena (those left being Wiress, Beetee, Mags, Finnick, the Female Morphling, Johanna, Blight, Chaff, Katniss and Peeta). Over time, the alliance began to shrink with the deaths of Mags, the Female Morphling, and Blight, and the remaining members (minus Chaff who was off on his own) traveled back to the Cornucopia to retrieve any weapons they needed that had been left behind. In the film, he was nearly killed by Finnick but was saved after Enobaria swung her sword at Finnick's arm. Gloss killed Wiress and he and Cashmere died shortly after.
Back in the jungle, the alliance soon learned that, with the death of the District 10 male and the District 5 female, the Games were now down to them, Chaff, Enobaria and Brutus. Beetee set up a plan to electrocute the water and cut off Brutus and Enobaria's resources. He sent Katniss and Johanna to run the line across the jungle, pursued by Brutus and Enobaria.
Johanna stops and cuts out Katniss' tracking device to make it appear that Katniss is dead, then leads Brutus and Enobaria away from her. In the chaos that followed, Enobaria stabs Beetee, yet again, but doesn't manage to kill him as Finnick chases her away. Brutus runs into Peeta who had recently met up with Chaff. In the battle that follows, Chaff is killed by Brutus, and Peeta, in a fit of rage, kills Brutus only seconds later (revealed by Peeta in Mockingjay.) Brutus placed 7th out of 24 and was the last tribute to die. Shortly after his death, Katniss destroyed the arena and ended the Games, leaving six surviving tributes.
- Brutus was the last tribute to die in the 75th Hunger Games. This makes him the final tribute to die in all the Hunger Games.
- Brutus and Enobaria most likely mentored Clove and Cato, which would have explained why they all have similar qualities.
- In the book, Katniss talks about the District 2 tributes, saying "Cato. Clove. Brutus. Enobaria. I've seen their eagerness. I've seen their bloodlust, too."
- In the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, both District 2 males (Cato and Brutus) were the last to die.
- In the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 males' last kills were the District 11 males: Brutus's was Chaff, Cato's was Thresh.
- Both male volunteers from District 2 in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games were killed by volunteers from District 12. Cato was killed by Katniss, and Brutus was killed by Peeta.
- In The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, he is situated on the podium to the left of Katniss.
- Although the book stated that Brutus killed Chaff causing Peeta to go on a rampage killing Brutus, in the film The Hunger Games: Catching Fire it is shown that Chaff was killed, but Brutus' fate is ambiguous.
- Brutus' name is another reference to Ancient Rome as several Romans in history went by this name, most famously Julius Caesar's assassin, Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger who often went by the name Brutus alone.
- Brutus was Peeta's only known kill in the 75th Hunger Games. However, in the film, Peeta is also seen drowning a male during the bloodbath.