Tributes always die at the bloodbath. The Gamemakers or the Capitol probably set up the Cornucopia for optimal entertainment value and quick deaths at the beginning of the game to keep audiences interested. In the end, the Cornucopia is often taken over by a group of tributes who fought in the bloodbath, usually this is the Career Tributes.
The Cornucopia is usually located in the center of the arena and is where the Career Tributes normally set up camp during the majority of the games, as many tributes would attempt to return to scavenge what is left of the supplies there.
There are a variety of ways tributes will approach the bloodbath, but these strategies depend on how the Cornucopia has been positioned.
Some tributes ignore the Cornucopia completely and try to put as much distance as they can between themselves and the tributes with weapons from the Cornucopia. This means they will get little or no supplies at all and will have to rely on the arena and their skills or perhaps a rich sponsor to give them some. In the 74th Hunger Games, Peeta Mellark avoided the Cornucopia at first under Haymitch's orders, but later joined the Career Tributes and had access to their supplies until he betrayed them. Other tributes, including Katniss Everdeen, grab what they can from the outskirts of the Cornucopia and flee before things get too dangerous. This means they still get supplies, but are not very valuable and have little or no weapons. Other tributes, mostly the Careers, dash for supplies as an opportunity to kill as many as possible while they are all together. This means they will get the most weapons and supplies, but they also run the highest risk of getting killed or badly injured.
In most of the Games, there are backpacks containing various items. Some examples may be weapons, medical supplies, food, or water. The supply of items tempted the tributes to go into the Cornucopia, putting the tributes closer together.
74th Hunger Games
Tribute name indicates who the item was used or attained by:
- Orange Backpack- Katniss
- Bow and Quiver of Arrows- Glimmer
- Knife- District 8 male
- Curved Knife- Marvel
- Yellow Duffel Bag- District 10 male, District 6 female, District 4 male, Marvel
- Machete- Cato
- Spear- Marvel, Peeta
- Throwing knives- Clove
- Small Sword- Glimmer, District 4 female, District 6 male
- Sickle- District 5 male
- Water Canteen- Cato, Thresh
- Black Backpack- District 3 female, District 5 male, District 7 female, District 3 male
- Red Backpack- District 4 female, District 6 male
- Small Knife- Glimmer
- Slingshot- Rue
- Double-Holed Battle Axe- District 7 male
- Curved Sword- Thresh
- Blue Duffel Bag- Thresh
- White Spear- District 7 male
- Long Sickle- Cato
- Throwing Axe- District 3 male, Marvel
- Throwing Spear- Marvel
- Colada Sword- Cato
- Pair of Socks- Rue
- Water Skin- Rue
75th Hunger Games
- Bow and quiver of arrows- Katniss
- Trident- Finnick
- Spear- Brutus
- Throwing Knives- Enobaria
- Daggers- Gloss
- Axe- Johanna
- Awl- Katniss, Mags
74th Hunger Games
In the novel and film, Katniss Everdeen was taken to a launch station, where her stylist, Cinna, would be waiting. He put on her arena jacket and gave her the Mockingjay pin for good luck. After kissing her, the timer before the elevator would close reaches 10 seconds. Katniss walks inside the tube, and it closes. Cinna nods at her as the elevator elevates her into the arena.
Pedestal Stations (Film): (From left to right) District 5 male, District 4 male, Rue, Glimmer, District 3 male, District 3 female, District 10 male, Peeta Mellark, District 7 female, District 6 male , Cato, District 7 male, Foxface, Katniss Everdeen, Marvel, Clove, District 4 female, District 8 male, District 6 female, Thresh. (Missing: District 8 female, District 9 male and District 9 female, and District 10 female.)
When the elevator stops and she is in the arena, everything is blurry until the Cornucopia comes in view. She is now on her pedestal along with the other tributes. Katniss looks towards her left, where Marvel, Clove, the District 4 female tribute, the District 8 male tribute, the District 6 female tribute, and Thresh are standing on their pedestals. The countdown begins and various scenes of the gamemakers' station, Capitol, shots of the tributes, and District 12 are seen. Gale is then seen sitting on the grass, looking at the forest. The scene goes back to Katniss, who looks at a bow and then towards Peeta, who shakes his head to signal her not to get it. The timer reaches 10. The tributes Cato, Glimmer, Thresh, Rue, Foxface, and the District 7 male tribute are seen. The sirens sounds the beginning of the games, and 22 of the tributes race towards the Cornucopia while Peeta and Rue run away.
75th Hunger Games
In the novel, Katniss describes the scene as quick and similar to the 74th Hunger Games. But when she goes into the tube and is being elevated into the arena, peacekeepers come in and beat up Cinna. Katniss cries and screams as Cinna is dragged away.
50th Hunger Games
In the 50th Hunger Games, 18 people were killed in the opening bloodbath, most of them likely by the Careers. However, the arena was so beautiful, the tributes were awed at first sight. Haymitch Abernathy, the victor from District 12, managed to get supplies before the bloodbath began, being the only one not stunned by the beauty of the arena.
74th Hunger Games
In the novel version of the 74th Hunger Games, eleven people were killed in the opening bloodbath, most of them killed by the Careers.
- Katniss fights the District 9 male over an orange backpack. Clove throws a knife into the District 9 male's back, causing him to cough out blood onto Katniss' face and fall to the ground dead. Clove throws another knife at Katniss, but she deflects it with her orange backpack and runs away.
In Event of the Film
Katniss and the rest of the tributes are elevated into the arena. They wait as the timer countdowns for the games to begin. She stares at a bow and arrow and turns to Peeta, who shakes his head in a way of saying "No." She glances back forward at the Cornucopia as the games begin. All of the tributes dash toward the Cornucopia for supplies and weapons. Foxface, Peeta, and Rue all run from the Cornucopia. Katniss slows down for a second, watching Peeta running away. The careers start slaughtering the tributes. Marvel drops down the District 8 male and slashes him with a curved kuriki. Cato slashes the District 10 male's chest with a machete. Katniss, not knowing what to do, watches the horrible sight. Marvel chases the District 7 female as she attempts to crawl away, spearing her heart off-screen. The careers slaughter many tributes whilst getting supplies [Clove finds packing knives, Cato picks up a water canteen, Marvel hits a tribute with a yellow duffel bag, the District 4 female shoves down the District 3 female, the District 5 male grabs a sickle off the ground.] After an off-screen fight with Cato, the District 4 female runs and grabs a red backpack off the floor, whilst fleeing. Katniss spots an orange backpack as she is watching the tribute and starts for it. Marvel cheers on Glimmer as she stabs and pierces the District 6 female, while gore and blood spurts out [the District 6 male panics and searches through a backpack behind her. The District 5 male slashes the District 3 female's neck, killing her. The District 4 male hides between crates inside the Cornucopia after taking a yellow duffel bag. The District 6 male and the District 5 male fight inside the Cornucopia [the District 6 male throttles the District 5 male.] Katniss picks up the bag while the District 4 female slices the District 3 female's leg and Glimmer pins the District 5 male onto a crate and jabs him in the abdomen with a small sword. Katniss, getting chased, trips onto the ground and is nearly killed by the District 9 male's double-holed battle axe when a knife hits him in the back. Clove glares angrily at Katniss from a distance and throws a knife aiming toward her head. Fortunately, Katniss uses her obtained backpack to shield herself. She runs and flees while Clove chases her. Inside the Cornucopia, The District 6 male tortures Glimmer as revenge for her killing his district partner. A scene shows the earlier events in which the District 5 male is bashing the District 6 male's skull into crates, before getting killed by Glimmer off-screen. Katniss makes it safely into the forest. Thresh, having obtained 2 duffel bags and a sword, runs out of the Cornucopia and is confronted by the District 7 male. The District 7 male tries to spear and slash him, but Thresh runs towards him and quickly slashes his throat with his sword, escaping. Near him, the District 7 female and the District 3 male shove and fight each other for a backpack. The District 4 male runs out of the Cornucopia and attempts to flee before seeing Cato, who immediately slashes his throat in a Jason from Friday the 13th manner. Blood splatters on crates as this happens. The bloodbath scene ends as Cato spots a colada sword that he will use for the rest of the movie. Aftermath: As Katniss runs through the forest, she sees Rue running besides her and sprints the opposite way from her. Screaming from the District 4 female can be heard in the distance.
In the film version of the 74th Hunger Games, 12 tributes were presumed to be killed in the initial bloodbath, though only 11 are seen dying. The tributes race towards the Cornucopia.
- Katniss: As Katniss grabbed an orange backpack the District 7 male raises the axe and is about to deliver a death blow on Katniss when Clove throws a knife at his back causing him to fall down dead. Clove then throws one at Katniss who deflects it with her backpack and then scrambles in the woods.
- Clove: As the District 7 male is about to kill Katniss with an axe, Clove throws a knife into the tribute's back and he drops to the ground dead. She then throws another knife at Katniss, but she blocks it with her backpack. Clove then turns to see the District 10 female trying to flee the bloodbath but Clove launches two knives at her back causing her to drop to the ground playing dead. She later finds the District 7 female trying to flee the bloodbath and tackles her to the ground, allowing Marvel to spear the tribute in the heart and kill her. At the end of the bloodbath she spots the District 9 female cowering behind a crate so she alerts Glimmer which leads to Glimmer stabbing the District 9 girl to death.
- Cato: After pinning the District 6 male onto the ground and punching him in the face, Cato finds a machete on the ground. He swings it at the running District 10 male, who is holding a yellow bag, cleaving him in the chest, knocking him to the ground and causing him to bleed to death. He then turns and slices the District 9 male's neck killing him. He is then confronted by the District 4 female, who swings an axe towards his head. He ducks, uses a baton to knock her axe down, uses it again to hit her stomach, grabs her, and throws her into a supply crate. He runs into the Cornucopia to find the District 4 male. When the District 4 tribute turns his head, Cato uses his machete to slash his throat, causing the District 4 male to backup against a crate and fall onto the floor of the Cornucopia. Cato confronts the District 6 male, who's about to kill Glimmer, and shoves him away from her. He uses his hands to grab the District 6 male's arm after he attempts to stab him. He then trips the District 6 tribute with his machete and knocks him onto the ground by hitting him with his machete.
- Thresh: He runs to the Cornucopia and shoves the District 7 female, and then targets the District 5 male but is confronted by the District 7 male, but Thresh then punctures the tribute's neck with his sword.
- Marvel: After making it a few feet to the Cornucopia, the District 8 male attempts to stab him. Marvel uses his hands to stop the attack, uses his curved knife to slash the District 8 tribute's throat, and immediately shoves him onto the ground. He uses his curved knife to stab the tribute repeatedly until he dies. He gets closer to the Cornucopia and attempts to steal the District 3 male's throwing axe. When the tribute holds onto it and refuses to let go, he slings his black backpack towards his face, knocking him away and making him let go of the axe. As the District 10 male runs towards the Cornucopia, he attempts to slash him with an axe, but he dodges and crawls away. Later, after Clove tackles the District 7 female to the ground, Marvel runs up to her with a spear and chases her as she crawls away. He uses the spear to skewer her in the heart, killing her. He later finds the District 10 female trying to play dead inside the Cornucopia and throws a spear into her chest which then kills her.
- Glimmer: After seeing the District 6 female and District 10 male quarrel over a yellow bag, Glimmer runs up to the battle and yanks the District 6 female by the hair, pulling her away from the District 10 male, who is laying on the floor. She throws the District 6 female onto the floor. Glimmer pins her onto the ground and uses a knife to stab and pierce the tribute's body. Then, after Thresh runs out of the Cornucopia, Glimmer runs in. She finds the District 5 male distracted by the District 6 male and pins him onto a crate. She uses her knife to stab him to death in the abdomen. The District 6 male attacks her and shoves her onto the ground. He almost kills her with a small sword, but Cato shoves him away from her and kills him. She gets up and sees the District 9 female hiding. Glimmer slams her into the wall of the Cornucopia and stabs her to death with a knife. She then goes out to retrieve a bow and a quiver of arrows.
- The Fallen
- District 3 female: the District 5 male grabs her backpack and then prevents her from running away. The two tributes collapse on the ground, As she tries to get back up, the District 5 male returns and slashes her neck with a sickle, killing her. T: 29 seconds.
- District 4 female (film): after knocking away her sword, Cato hits her in the stomach with his baton. Cato throws her over into a crate, after fleeing in the woods, the careers find her about 17 minutes later and Cato kills her. T: 17 minutes, 23 seconds.
- District 4 male: he fails his stealthy plan; Cato confronts him and slashes his throat with his machete, causing him to back up into a crate, splattering blood, and fall onto the floor dead. T: 1 minute, 24 seconds.
- District 5 male: he prevents the District 3 female from running away with a backpack he values. However, when she escapes she trips, as she is getting up. He slashes the District 3 female in the neck, killing her. The District 6 male spotted him and strangled him by the throat. The tributes roll into the Cornucopia, where the District 5 male gets an advantage and smashes the District 6 male's head into a supply crate. Glimmer runs in and uses a knife to brutally stab the District 5 male in the abdomen repeatedly, killing him. (His time was shown to be 13, but this is actually the District 10 male's time when he was killed by Cato's machete).
- District 6 female: while attempting to take a bag from the District 10 male, Glimmer yanks her away from him with the yellow bag and throws her into a crate. She grabs her again and throws her onto the ground. Glimmer then uses a knife to stab and pierce her body until she dies.
- District 6 male: in the beginning of the bloodbath, Cato pins him onto the ground and punches him in the face, injuring him. He then confronts the District 7 male and punches him in the face. He sees the District 5 male on the ground and strangles him, but the District 5 male slams his head into a crate. Glimmer comes and stabs the District 5 male, giving just enough time to grab a small sword and shove her onto the ground. He attempts to kill her, but Cato shoves him away from her. The District 6 male attempts to stab him, but Cato grabs his arm, preventing him from stabbing him. He is then tripped and slammed into the ground by Cato's machete. Cato hits him one more time with the scythe, killing him. He contributed to the D5 male's quick death.
- District 7 female: she stays near the entrance of the Cornucopia. The District 5 male attacks her and hits her with his black backpack, but the District 7 male comes and saves her by knocking the District 5 tribute onto the ground with a spear. She gets the black backpack the District 5 tribute left behind and crawls away after her district partner brawls with Thresh and is killed. She fights the District 3 male over the backpack but is shoved away. After attempting to flee, Clove tackles her onto the ground after dealing with Katniss. The District 7 female then crawls away from Marvel, who chases her with a spear pointed at her heart. He then skewers her in the heart with the spear, killing her. She survived for approximately 2 minutes. T: 2 minutes, 31 seconds.
- District 7 male: The District 6 male attacks him by punching him. The District 7 male then saves his district partner from the District 5 male and knocks the tribute down with his spear. He confronts Thresh, who had just ran out of the Cornucopia. He swings his spear at him in attempt to slash him, but Thresh uses his blue bag to knock it away and slashes his throat with his sickle sword, killing him. His District 9 counterpart grabs an axe, chases Katniss, and attempts to kill her by impaling her with an axe but is killed when Clove throws a knife into his back. T: 37 seconds.
- District 8 male: He aggressively fails to attempt a first-attack to stab Marvel, but Marvel grabs his wrist to prevent the injury. He then slices his throat and shoves him onto the ground. Marvel then uses his curved knife to stab him to death. T: 9 seconds.
- District 9 male: He chases Katniss and raises his axe to kill her after she trips. Before he can land the blow, Clove throws a knife into his back, killing him. He placed 24th.
- District 9 female: Killed at the Cornucopia by a career tribute.
- District 10 female: Marvel finds her running towards the cornucopia and throws an axe which he stole from the District 3 male into her leg badly injuring her. He then uses a spear and brutally skewers her in the abdomen, and pulls the spear out, killing her. It is possible the District 10 male replaces the District 10 female's role in the film.
- District 10 male: after grabbing a yellow bag off the floor, Cato sees him and swings his machete at him as he runs, impaling him in the chest. He falls onto the floor and coughs up blood until death. T: 13 seconds.
- Time order
- 24th: District 9 male ()
- 23th: District 8 male (9")
- 22th: District 5 male (13")
- 21th: District 6 female (24")
- 20th: District 10 female (29")
- 20th: District 3 female (29")
- 18th: District 7 male (37")
- 17th: District 4 male (1' 24")
- 16th: District 7 female (2' 31")
- 15th: District 6 male (3' 23")
- 14th: District 9 female (10' 24")
- Special Case: District 4 female* (17' 23")
- The District 8 female, District 9 male and female, and District 10 female do not appear at the bloodbath. The District 10 female is replaced by the District 10 male in the film. The District 9 male is played by the District 7 male.
- All the times are based on the portraits. Several errors occurred during the portrait and the actual time listing.
- In the 74th hunger games the female tribute from district 3, male tributes from 4 and 5,both tributes from 6,7 and 9, the male tribute from district 8 and the female tribute from district 10 were killed in the bloodbath alone.
- Glimmer - D6 female, D5 male, D9 female
- Clove - D7 male (role of D9 male)
- Cato - D10 male, D4 male, D6 male, D4 female
- Marvel - D8 male, D7 female, D10 female
- District 5 male - D3 female
- Thresh - D7 male
75th Hunger Games
In the 75th Hunger Games, eight people were killed in the opening bloodbath. Unlike the previous games, the only things held in the Cornucopia were weapons. The District 5 male snuck up on Katniss Everdeen, but Finnick Odair uses a trident and spears him through the chest, killing him. Katniss shoots Gloss' calf. She attempts to shoot Enobaria but misses because she dives into the water. Also, it is mentioned by Johanna Mason that Beetee was stabbed in the Cornucopia before she went to retrieve him.