- "District 1 makes the luxury goods that decorate and beautify our great Capitol. Its excellent taste and craftsmanship keep Capitol residents bewigged and bedazzled year-round."
- ―Description of District 1 from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 1 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items for the Capitol and as a result, has a generally favorable relationship with it. These luxuries include diamonds and other precious gems, such as emeralds and sapphires. It seems that parents from District 1 name their children after precious items and their attributes, such as Glimmer and Marvel, which may be a reflection on their "glamorous" nature. Children in District 1 almost always seem to take pride in competing in the Hunger Games, and are among the group of tributes that band together to pick off the weaker contestants, known as Careers. On the Victory Tour, Katniss Everdeen mentioned that she felt uneasy going into District 1, as she killed both of the district's tributes. Katniss also notes how their costumes in the chariot rides are always the best and how ridiculous the district names are for their children.
Some jobs in District 1 include:
- Hair Stylist
The tributes from District 1 are Careers. Careers train hard for the Games and volunteer to compete as tributes. They are usually overconfident, like most of the Careers, but this does not matter for them, for they are so well trained, that they can immediately change their attitude if needed. There are only 5 known tributes from District 1.
- District 1 female (50th HG) - Killed when her own axe ricocheted and split her skull.
- Glimmer - Female tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. She died of tracker jacker stings from an attack started by Katniss.
- Marvel - Male tribute in the 74th Hunger Games. He died from an arrow shot at him by Katniss. Placed 8th in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Cashmere - Female tribute in the 75th Hunger Games, victor of the 64th Hunger Games, and the sister of Gloss. Johanna Mason killed her with an axe.
- Gloss - Male tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 63rd Hunger Games, consecutive to his sister Cashmere. Katniss killed him with an arrow.
- Cashmere was the only tribute from District 1 that wasn't killed by Katniss in the Games she was in, but also the only known District 1 tribute not to be directly killed by a tribute from District 12.
- It is mentioned that District 1 has a machine that can turn graphite into diamonds.
- All the known tributes from District 1 had luxurious names, as District 1 is the luxury district. Marvel means to be filled with awe, Glimmer means to glow faintly, Gloss could be deceptively attractive appearance and/or bright sheen, and Cashmere is one of the most expensive fabrics in the world.
- Despite its favorable relationship with the Capitol, District 1 still rebelled against its rule during the second rebellion.
- Katniss Everdeen killed both the male tributes in her Games after they killed one of her allies; Marvel killed Rue and Gloss killed Wiress.
- District 1, District 5 and District 9 are the only districts without a known rebel.