District 11 is one of the thirteen districts of Panem. Its main industry is agriculture; orchards, fields, and herds of dairy cattle are prominent features of the district. It also seems to be one of the poorer districts; almost everything the people produce goes to the Capitol, and Katniss Everdeen describes the housing as poor, even compared to the Seam in District 12. Despite their near-starvation, if any citizen of District 11 is caught eating any of the crops, they are whipped in public. The inhabitants typically have dark brown skin, as described in the physical traits of Rue, Thresh, and Chaff (Seeder, who is described in the novels as having olive skin, is a notable exception).
The following jobs are offered in District 11:
Government and Security
- "Hearing this, District 12 feels like some kind of safe haven. Of course, people keel over from starvation all the time, but I can't imagine the peacekeepers murdering a simple-minded child."
Rue mentioned that a boy named Martin was once killed for trying to keep a pair of night vision goggles in order to play with them, even though he was harmless and "wasn't right in the head". If any worker stole crops, they were publicly whipped, a common occurrence that the Mayor was described as strict on. In general, the Capitol tried to keep a tighter grip on District 11 because its industry and products were vital to the Capitol's existence.
According to Suzanne Collins, District 11 is near Atlanta. It appears to be south of District 12, because its weather was comfortably warm while snow was falling in 12. This warm weather would lengthen District 11's growing season and provide an ideal climate for growing food.
Relation to The Games
District 11 tributes are usually underfed and unprepared for the games, and generally place low. However, some have occupational skills that are useful in the arena; due to her small size, Rue was often sent to pick fruit from the highest branches, and thus she could easily move between tall trees. Others, like Thresh, are extremely large and muscular and have a large amount of strength because of physical labor. Another likely ability, which both Rue and Thresh had, was the ability to recognize edible plants that other tributes wouldn't notice. Rue could also identify and use medicinal plants.
During the 74th Games (in the film), after Rue's death was shown, a riot was started in District 11.
- Chaff - Died on Day 2 in the 75th Hunger Games, Victor of the 45th Hunger Games. He placed 8th out of 24th.
- Seeder - Died during Day 1 in the 75th Hunger Games, but won an unspecified Hunger Games. Her placing is unknown.
- Rue - Placed 7th in the 74th Hunger Games. Killed by Marvel.
- Thresh - Placed 5th (book), 4th (film) in the 74th Hunger Games.
Way of Life
District 11 specializes in agriculture, plowing fields and managing orchards. The signature bread from this district is a dark, crescent-shaped roll dotted with seeds. There are many tracker jacker nests in District 11, causing workers to keep medical leaves on hand. In the orchards small children are sent to high branches to pick the highest fruits. They work long hours: from sunrise to sunset, the people work the fields to send food off to the Capitol.
During the harvest they often work until well after dark, using torchlight and night vision goggles. District 11 is many times larger than District 12. The citizens of District 11 live in small shacks. The people of this district are described as having "dark hair and dark skin". Due to this, they may be of African American, Latin American, Native American, or South Asian decent. However, due to the location of District 11 being confirmed by Suzanne Collins as "the Deep South" it is likely that they are mostly African American, or of Latin American decent.
- District 11 is possibly the biggest district which is not a surprise because they would need a big space for farm/garden, also it is shown they travel through a lot on the train to the square.
- All known tributes from District 11 are of African-American decent.
- In the 74th Hunger Games, District 11 has both the tallest tribute (Thresh), and both smallest and youngest tribute (Rue).
- After being the 2nd - 4th districts (eventually the 2nd) to pry from the Capitol's rule, communications went out in Districts 3, 7, and 12 to rebel. Afterwards, District 11 sends food to rebelling districts in hopes of winning the war.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 11 has a cultivated acreage of 12 with a population of 138,546, making it the fourth largest district, in terms of population.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 11 claims 822,568 in tesserae, making it the second most impoverished district.
- If the population is 138,546 and they claim 822,568 tesserae, it would equal to 5.937 tesserae per person, making it the 10th richest District.
- It is considered a very poor district.
- As shown in Mockingjay Part 1, District 11's citizens are dressed in physical attire resembling that of the Antebellum South.