|District 1's seal|
- "District 1 makes the luxury goods that decorate and beautify our great Capitol. Its excellent taste and craftsmanship keep Capitol residents bewigged and bedazzled year-round."
- ―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 1 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items for the Capitol and as a result has a generally favourable relationship with it. These luxuries include diamonds and other other precious gems, and it seems that parents from District 1 name their children after precious items and their attributes, which may be a reflection on their "glamorous" nature. Children in District 1 almost always seem to take pride in competing in the Hunger Games, and are among the group of tributes that band together to pick off the weaker contestants, known as Careers. On the victory tour, Katniss mentioned that she felt uneasy going into District 1, as she killed both of the district's tributes. Katniss also notes, how their costumes are always the best and how ridiculous the district names are for their children.
Some jobs in District 1 include:
- Hair Stylist
The tributes from District 1 are Careers. Careers train hard for the Games and volunteer to compete as tributes. They are usually overconfident, like most of the Careers, but this does not matter for them, for they are so well trained, that they can immediately change their attitude if needed. There are only 5 known tributes.
- Glimmer (female tribute of the 74th Hunger Games. Died of tracker jacker stings from an attack started by Katniss.)
- Marvel (male tribute of the 74th Hunger Games. Died from an arrow shot at him by Katniss.)
- Cashmere (Gloss's sister. Female tribute of the 75th Hunger Games and Victor an unknown Games. Johanna Mason killed her with an axe.)
- Gloss (Cashmere's brother. Male tribute of the 75th Hunger Games and Victor of an unknown Hunger Games, consecutive to his sister. Katniss killed him with an arrow.)
- District 1 female (Female tribute in the 50th Hunger games. Killed when her own axe ricocheted and split her skull.)
- Katniss has killed both of the male tributes from District 1 in the two Games that she participated in.
- Cashmere, the female tribute in the 75th Hunger Games, was the only tribute from District 1 that wasn't killed by Katniss.
- It is mentioned that District 1 has a machine that can turn graphite into diamonds.
- All the known tributes from District 1 had luxurious names, as District 1 is the luxury district. Marvel means to be filled with awe, Glimmer means to glow faintly, Gloss could be deceptively attractive appearance and/or bright sheen, and Cashmere is one of the most expensive fabrics in the world.
- Despite its favourable relationship with the Capitol, District 1 still rebelled against its rule during the Second Rebellion