|Industry||Masonry (later Weapons)|
|Victors||Brutus, Enobaria, Lyme|
|Rebels||Lyme, Enobaria (end of Mockingjay)|
- "Our nation would be nothing without District 2's superb stonework. It builds and fortifies our cities and its citizens are known individually for their strength."
- ―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 2 is one of the thirteen districts of Panem. Its main industry is masonry. It is one of the largest and wealthiest districts of Panem. Furthermore, they train their children ready for The Hunger Games each year. It's where most Peacekeepers are recruited and trained and where weapons are manufactured, but it originally specialized only in mining and stone cutting. Publicly it's presented as the nation's stone quarries, just as District 13 was known for graphite mining. After the first rebellion, District 2 was rewarded with better treatment and living conditions for their citizens because of its loyalty to the Capitol. It is in the Rocky Mountains, near the Capitol itself. The district is made up of many small villages, each one based around a mine. Although they get preferential treatment from the Capitol, the quarry workers suffer as much as any other district, and the district as a whole is not excluded from the annual Hunger Games.
- Concrete Finisher
Due to the relocation of the Capitol's military command from District 13, during the Dark Days, the Peacekeeping force, along with a large portion of the Capitol's fleet of hoverplanes, were housed in a large mountain previously used for mining in the middle of District 2. Train tracks from the mountain lead into District 2's square. After the mountain was thoroughly mined, the internal infrastructure was reinforced and barracks, arsenals, computer terminals, and meeting rooms were constructed, turning the mountain into a military base and the Capitol's main source of weapons production after losing District 13. After Plutarch Heavensbee described it as "a tough nut to crack," Katniss Everdeen relayed this remark to the rebel leadership of District 2, resulting in the mountain being nicknamed the "Nut." Numerous rebel attempts to capture the entrances were defeated as these had been designed to be near impervious to attack, resulting in a stalemate.
However Gale Hawthorne noticed avalanche paths on the side of the mountain and realized that an alternative to capturing the Nut would be to disable it. Boggs realized from examining the Nut's blueprints that its ventilation system was its weak point, as these would be blocked up by avalanches. Beetee suggested leaving the train tunnel to the square open as the only means of escape, which Gale was against, as he was seeking retribution for the fire Bombing of District 12. It was decided to leave the tunnel intact to give the survivors a chance to surrender, but anticipating that the escapees would be armed and desperate, the rebels fortified the buildings surrounding the square with machine gun nests. When the Nut was bombed by rebellion hovercrafts, the resulting avalanches shut off many entrances and air vents. The survivors did not initially escape through the tunnel, but suddenly rushed two trains into the station when Katniss started to broadcast an appeal to surrender. After she tried to convince an injured soldier to surrender and was shot, the District 2 workers who had escaped turned on the soldiers, allowing the rebels to stand by and watch.
District 2 children are raised with a warrior mindset in preparation for becoming Peacekeepers. They are typically Career Tributes, some of whom volunteer to participate, as winning is a great honor in Career Districts. They tend to be strong and well-prepared, like the Careers from 1 and 4, but have an additional level of brutal discipline. Katniss describes the District 2 tributes, saying "Cato. Clove. Brutus. Enobaria. I've seen their eagerness. I've seen their bloodlust, too.
- Cato, Placed 3rd in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Clove, Placed 6th in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Brutus, Placed 8th in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of a previous Hunger Games.
- Enobaria, tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 62nd Hunger Games. After the Second Rebellion and the overthrow of President Snow, Enobaria is the last surviving tribute from District 2.
- Lyme, a victor of a previous and unknown Hunger Games.
- In the film adaptation of The Hunger Games, Haymitch Abernathy remarks that tributes from Districts 1 and 2, are trained for the Games at special academies until they reach the age of 18.
- In Mockingjay it is revealed that all Districts were at war with the Capitol except District 2, which had been later secured by rebel forces towards the end of the war.
- The rebel strategy at the Nut, is similar to the total war strategy employed during Sherman's March to the Sea.
- The function and fortification of the Nut is similar to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex that houses NORAD.
- In both the 74th Hunger Games and the 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 male tribute was the last to die.
- District 2 is favored the most by the Capitol for its military base, the Nut, and for the strength and loyalty of the people.
- The District 2 tributes in the two most recent Hunger games, the 74th and 75th, have always died after District 1.
- District 2 tributes tend to be the strongest Careers.
- District 2 was described as having one of the largest pools of victors.
- District 2 is shown to be located just below the Capitol as seen in The Hunger Games Adventures.
- Although people from District 2 were always eager to volunteer for the Hunger Games (described to have a hunger for 'glory'), it is shown that they have always secretly hated them as much as any other district. Enobaria shows her hate in Mockingjay.
- Both male tributes in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games were killed by a tribute from District 12.
- It can be assumed that the females from this district prefer throwing knives as a weapon, with both Enobaria and Clove using them.
- In both the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 tributes made it to the top 7.
- Although the District did not rebel as a whole, outer villages are said to have either been sided or captured by the rebels at a later point of the war.
- District 2 was the last District to maintain under the influence of the Capitol's rule.
- ↑ Mockingjay, Chapter 14