District 2 is one of the thirteen districts of Panem. Located in the Rocky Mountains, close the Capitol itself, it is one of the largest and wealthiest districts. Many small villages, each one based around a mine, are scattered across the mountains. District 2 is where many Peacekeepers are recruited, trained, and where weapons are manufactured for their use, but the region's other industry is masonry/stone working. Publicly, District 2 is presented as the home of the nation's stone quarries, just as District 13 was publicly known for graphite mining, but was also the center of Panem's nuclear weapons program. After the first rebellion, District 2 was rewarded with better treatment and living conditions for its citizens because of their loyalty to the Capitol. Despite this preferential treatment, however, the quarry workers suffer as much as laborers in any other district, and the district as a whole is not excluded from the annual Hunger Games.
Children from District 2 are known as Career tributes, as they train for years to compete in and win the Games.
The following jobs are offered in District 2:
- Concrete Finisher
- Brick mason
During the Dark Days, the Capitol's military command was relocated from District 13; its Peacekeeping force, along with a large portion of its fleet of hoverplanes, were housed in a large mountain in the middle of District 2, which was previously used for mining. Train tracks from the mountain lead into District 2's square. After the mountain was thoroughly mined, the internal infrastructure was reinforced, and barracks, arsenals, computer terminals, and meeting rooms were constructed, turning the mountain into a military base and the Capitol's main source of weapons production after losing District 13. After Plutarch Heavensbee described the mountain as "a tough nut to crack," Katniss Everdeen relayed this remark to the rebel leadership of District 2, resulting in the mountain being nicknamed the "Nut." The mountain itself was virtually impregnable, and numerous rebel attempts to capture the entrances were defeated, resulting in a stalemate.
However, Gale Hawthorne noticed avalanche paths on the sides of the mountain and realized that an alternative to capturing the Nut would be to simply disable it. Boggs realized from examining the Nut's blueprints that its ventilation system was its weak point, as these would be blocked up by avalanches. To minimize casualties, Beetee suggested leaving the train tunnel to the square open as the only means of escape, which Gale was against, as he was seeking retribution for the fire bombing of District 12. It was decided to leave the tunnel intact to give the survivors a chance to surrender, but anticipating that the escapees would be armed and desperate, the rebels fortified the buildings surrounding the square with machine gun nests. When the Nut was bombed by rebellion hovercrafts, the resulting avalanches shut off many entrances and air vents. The survivors did not initially escape through the tunnel, but suddenly two trains rushed into the station when Katniss started to broadcast an appeal to surrender. After she tried to convince an injured soldier to surrender and was shot, the District 2 workers who had escaped turned on their own soldiers, allowing the rebels to stand by and watch.
Children from District 2 are raised with a warrior mindset in preparation for becoming Peacekeepers, though this mentality also serves them well in the Hunger Games. They are typically Career tributes, some of whom volunteer to participate, as winning is a great honor in Career Districts. They tend to be strong and well-prepared, like the Careers from 1 and 4, but have an additional level of brutal discipline. Katniss describes the District 2 tributes, saying "Cato. Clove. Brutus. Enobaria. I've seen their eagerness. I've seen their bloodlust, too."
- Cato - Placed 3rd in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Clove - Placed 6th in the 74th Hunger Games.
- Brutus - Placed 7th in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of an unspecified Hunger Games.
- Enobaria - Tribute in the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 62nd Hunger Games. After the Second Rebellion and the overthrow of President Snow, Enobaria was declared the last surviving tribute from District 2.
- Lyme - Victor of a previous and unknown Hunger Games.
- The close relationship between the Capitol and District 2 is shown by the fact that people from both locations tend to have Ancient Roman names: 'Cato', 'Brutus' (District 2), 'Coriolanus', 'Seneca' (Capitol).
- In the film adaptation of The Hunger Games, Haymitch Abernathy remarks that tributes from Districts 1 and 2, are trained for the Games at special academies until they reach the age of 18.
- In Mockingjay, it is revealed that all districts were at war with the Capitol except District 2, which had been later secured by rebel forces towards the end of the war.
- The rebel strategy at the Nut is similar to the total war strategy employed during Sherman's March to the Sea.
- The function and fortification of the Nut is similar to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex that houses NORAD.
- In both the 74th Hunger Games and the 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 male tribute was the last to die.
- District 2 is favored the most by the Capitol for its military base, the Nut, and for the strength and loyalty of the people.
- The District 2 tributes in the two most recent Hunger games, the 74th and 75th, have always died after District 1.
- District 2 tributes tend to be the strongest Careers.
- District 2 was described as having one of the largest pools of victors.
- District 2 is shown to be located just below the Capitol as seen in The Hunger Games Adventures. It is also the second smallest district by size, which is ironic given the fact that it's the second largest in terms of population.
- Although people from District 2 were always eager to volunteer for the Hunger Games (described to have a hunger for 'glory'), it is shown that some of them have always secretly hated them as much as any other district. Enobaria shows her hate in Mockingjay.
- Both male tributes in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games were killed by a tribute from District 12.
- In both the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, the District 2 tributes made it to the top 7.
- Although the district did not rebel as a whole, outer villages are said to have either been sided or captured by the rebels at a later point of the war.
- District 2 was the last district to maintain under the influence of the Capitol's rule.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 2 has 7 quarries in operation with a population of 231,354, making it the second largest district, in terms of population.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 2 claims 1,937 in tesserae, making it the second richest district.
- If the population is 231,354 and they claim 1,937 that would equal to 0.008 tesserae per person, making it the richest District.
- ↑ Mockingjay, Chapter 14