|District 2's seal|
|Industry||Masonry (later Weapons)|
|Victors||Brutus, Enobaria, Lyme|
|Rebels||Lyme, Enobaria[at the end of Mockingjay]|
- "Our nation would be nothing without District 2's superb stonework. It builds and fortifies our cities and its citizens are known individually for their strength."
- ―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 2 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. It is where most of the Peacekeepers are trained and weapons are manufactured, but originally specialized only in mining and stone cutting. Publicly it is presented as the nation's stone quarries, just as District 13 was known for graphite mining. After the first rebellion, District 2 was rewarded with better treatment and living conditions for their citizens because of its loyalty to the Capitol. It is in the Rocky Mountains, near the Capitol itself. The district is made up of many small villages, each based around a mine. Although they get preferential treatment from the Capitol, the quarry workers suffer as much as any other district, and the district as a whole is not excluded from the annual Hunger Games. Some jobs include Stonemason, Concrete finisher, Bricklayer, Brickmason, and Plasterer.
Due to the relocation of the Capitol's military command from District 13 during the Dark Days, the Peacekeeping force, along with a large portion of the Capitol's fleet of hoverplanes, were housed in a large mountain previously used for mining in the middle of District 2. Train tracks from the mountain lead into District 2's square. After the mountain was thoroughly mined, the internal infrastructure was reinforced and barracks, arsenals, computer terminals, and meeting rooms were constructed, turning the mountain into a military base. After Plutarch Heavensbee described it as "a tough nut to crack," Katniss Everdeen relayed this remark to the rebel leadership of District 2, resulting in the mountain being nicknamed the "Nut." Numerous rebel attempts to capture the entrances were defeated as these had been designed to be near impervious to attack, resulting in a stalemate.
However Gale Hawthorne noticed avalanche paths on the side of the mountain and realized that an alternative to capturing the Nut would be to disable it. Boggs realized from examining the Nut's blueprints that its ventilation system was its weak point, as these would be blocked up by avalanches. Beetee suggested leaving the train tunnel to the square open as the only means of escape, which Gale was against, as he was seeking retribution for the fire bombing of District 12. It was decided to leave the tunnel intact to give the survivors a chance to surrender, but anticipating that the escapees would be armed and desperate, the rebels fortified the buildings surrounding the square with machine gun nests. When the Nut was bombed by rebellion hovercraft, the resulting avalanches shut off many entrances and air vents. The survivors did not initially escape through the tunnel, but suddenly rushed two trains into the station when Katniss started to broadcast an appeal to surrender. After she tried to convince an injured soldier to surrender and was shot, the District 2 workers who had escaped turned on the soldiers, allowing the rebels to stand by and watch.
District 2 children are raised with a warrior mindset in preparation for becoming Peacekeepers. The tributes are typically Career Tributes, some of whom volunteer to participate, as winning is a great honor in Career Districts. They tend to be strong and brutish.
- Clove, tribute to the 74th Hunger Games
- Cato, tribute to the 74th Hunger Games
- Brutus, tribute to the 75th Hunger Games and victor of a previous Hunger Games
- Enobaria, tribute to the 75th Hunger Games and victor of the 62nd Hunger Games
- Lyme, a victor of a previous Hunger Games
- In the film adaptation of The Hunger Games, Haymitch remarks that tributes from Districts 1 and 2 are trained for the Games at special academies until they reach the age of 18.
- In Mockingjay it is revealed that all districts were at war with the Capitol except District 2.
- The rebel strategy at the Nut is similar to the total war strategy employed during Sherman's March to the Sea.
- The function and fortification of the Nut is similar to the Cheyenne Mountain Complex that houses NORAD.
- In both the 74th Hunger Games and the 75th Hunger Games, the male District 2 tribute was the last to die.
- District 2 is favored the most by the Capitol for the miltary base, The Nut, and for the strength and loyalty of the people.
- District 2 tributes tend to be the strongest Careers.
- There was most likely more living victors other than Lyme, Brutus, and Enobaria
- ↑ Mockingjay, Chapter 14