District 3 is one of the 13 districts in Panem. Its main industry is technology and it is one of the poorest districts. It specializes in televisions and computers. In Catching Fire during the Victory Tour, Katniss notices that this district, along with District 8 and District 4, shows the most happiness to see her, implying that it is of the more rebellious districts. It is implied in Catching Fire that their citizens lived in abject poverty, as they were one of the first districts to start an uprising during the Dark Days. Most of its inhabitants work in factories and are very well adept with engineering.
JobsThe following jobs are offered in District 3:
- Technical support
- Assembly operator
- Electronic installation
- Experimental physicist
- District 3 male (74th HG) - Died during the eighth day. Cato broke his neck because Katniss blew up the supplies when he was on watch. He placed 9th out of 24.
- District 3 female (74th HG)- died during the first day (Bloodbath). She placed 22nd out of 24.
- Beetee - Victor of a unknown games, 75th Hunger Games. ( the 3rd♙Quarter Quell)
- Wiress - Victor of a unknown games, 75th Hunger Games. (3rd♙Quarter Quell), died during the second day by Gloss slitting her throat. She placed 12th out of 24th.
- Beetee, Wiress and the District 3 male (74th HG) were all described by Katniss to have ashen skin. This can be a characteristic of the district, despite in the film Wiress was the only one tribute from District 3 to have this characteristic.
- Tributes from District 3 tend to be extremely good at creating and using electronics, as displayed by Beetee as he became a victor by utilizing his knowledge and skill with electrical devices.
- Both the tributes in the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, who didn't die in the bloodbath, died at the hands of a Career, as the District 3 male was killed by Cato and Wiress was killed by Gloss. This excludes Beetee as he's currently alive.
- While the District 3 female did not make it far in the 74th Hunger Games, dying third in the bloodbath, the male was electronically skilled and he proved that to the Careers by moving and then rearming the landmines used to prevent tributes stepping off the pedestals before the official start of the Games.
- The bread from this district is bite-sized square-shaped rolls.
- Before the Dark Days, District 3 was one of the more wealthy districts, however it was crippled by the uprising (in which it presumably played an important role) and living standards decreased.
- According to The Hunger Games Adventures, District 3 is located directly to the west of District 12.
- According to the Capitol.pn, District 3 has twelve factories in operation, and a population of 195,329, making it the third largest district, in terms of population.
- It was one of the first districts to rebel during the 2nd rebellion, along with Districts 1, 8, and 11. District 3 was the 2nd - 4th district to pry from Capitol rules and eventually, they became the third district to do so.
- Although it was said they showed joy during Katniss' arrival during the Victory Tour, the citizens of District 3 seemed to be unhappy and later rioted during her speech, pleading for her to say what she really felt.
- According to the Capitol.PN, District 3 claims 62,991 in tesserae, making it the fifth richest district.
- It is considered an upper middle class district.