|District 3 male|
|Appearances||The Hunger Games|
|Portrayed by||Ian Nelson|
74th Hunger GamesEdit
In the film, the District 3 tributes wore silver costumes and silver headresses to represent the workings of electronic devices during the Tribute Parade. In the tribute parade he is the one tribute who doesn't greet Capitol City's people.
The District 3 male was first seen in the Training Center working with the District 9 male to create a fire, and quickly backing away when the fire ignited. He also showed concern when his district partner was injured in training, but laughed reluctantly when Glimmer elbowed him.
In the interviews, the District 3 male wore a yellow suit with a black shirt under it. Katniss said that there was nothing special about his interview.
During the initial bloodbath, the District 3 male participated and fought for supplies. He was presumably a slow runner, because he was very slow at running to the cornucopia. At some point, he grabbed a small throwing axe that Marvel tried to steal, but the District 3 male didn't let go, which made Marvel swing his heavy backpack at the tribute's face, causing him to fall and to let go. He runs at the District 7 male and beats him up and runs away. He is later seen fighting the District 7 female over another backpack, while Thresh, the District 11 male tribute, is running out of the Cornucopia. While his district partner was killed, he managed to survive and presumably escaped the cornucopia.
By day eight, the District 3 male had joined the Career pack and booby-trapped the area right around the Cornucopia with land mines he had dug up and then re-armed, which Katniss said in the book that he probably knew due to the fact that he was from District 3 which produces technology. Katniss Everdeen discovered the minefield after observing Foxface steal supplies from the Careers, while Rue distracted the other careers with several fires. They went to investigate, leaving the District 3 male behind to guard.While Marvel, Clove, and Cato were hunting for Rue, Foxface stole supplies from the Careers, jumping around the mines in what Katniss described as a sort of "dance". As Foxface ran away behind the District 3 male, he looked around to see who was there and followed Foxface into the woods. Katniss blew up the Careers supplies by shooting a suspended bag of apples with her arrows when he left, which in turn set off the mines he planted, destroying everything. After the explosion, the District 3 male came back and saw the blown-up supplies. When the Careers returned, Cato confronted the District 3 male in a fit of rage and snapped his neck, as Katniss Everdeen watched on from behind nearby bushes. The District 3 male placed 9th out of 24.
After his death, the District 3 male, like the 20 other fallen tributes, probably had his DNA mixed with that of a wolf, to form a muttation which had similar characteristics as the deceased tributes. It is unknown if his mutt survived the battle.
Film portrayalEditThe District 3 male was portrayed by Ian Nelson in The Hunger Games film.
- In the film it is shown that he weighs 120 pounds, same as his district partner. He is also 14 years old in the film.
- His odds of winning were initially 20-1 and later 22-1.
- When all the tributes are standing on their platforms, he is seen standing next to his district partner.
- In the bloodbath he fights with Marvel for an axe and the District 7 female for a backpack and for a spear.
- He was the highest placing unnamed tribute, not including Foxface as she had a nickname and was frequently mentioned.
- In the Tribute Guide, his height is said to be 4'8, but when he is seen fighting with the District 7 female, he is taller; his actual height is around 5'6.
- By closely observing the trailer of "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" it can be noted that while visiting district 3 on Katniss' and Peeta's victory tour that only a woman is standing on the pedestal, preserved for the family members of a death tribute. The woman could possibly be his mother, meaning the tribute doesn't have a father nor siblings.