|Victors||Finnick Odair, Mags, Annie Cresta|
|Rebels||Finnick Odair, Mags, Annie Cresta|
- "Do you like seafood? Shrimp and crabmeat? Often overlooked, District 4 plays an essential role, bringing us the bounty of the sea. These citizens are adept with nets and tridents, and can swim like fish themselves."
- ―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 4 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its industry is fishing, which is useful for tributes in the Games as they have experience in using nets and tridents, making fishhooks from scratch, swimming, and identifying edible sea life. In Catching Fire, Katniss notices during her Victory Tour that District 4, along with 3 and 8, seemed quite happy to see her, meaning that it is a rebellious district, also how the victors from this district pledged loyalty to the rebellion and Katniss Everdeen.
Being one of the wealthiest districts, District 4 tends to produce Career Tributes, who volunteer to participate in the Hunger Games. This is also the case for Districts 1 and 2. These children are raised to win the Games, making them stronger and much more capable of winning than the average tribute. The bread is a salty, fish-shaped loaf, tinted green by seaweed. Their source of income is fishing. Kids are trained for these jobs at a young age, giving them an advantage in the Games. According to The Hunger Games Adventures, District 4 is located on the west coast of Panem just to the southeast of District 7. In Catching Fire, a pretty District 4 girl with blonde hair and brown eyes looks up and Katniss and tells her "One day I'm going to volunteer just like you did." Implying District 4 citizens may be in favor of the games, similar to Districts 1 and 2.
Some jobs in District 4 include:
- Ship Captain
While preparing for the 3rd Quarter Quell in the Training Center, Katniss encounters difficulty at the knot-tying station and is helped by another tribute, and she realizes that "Of course it's Finnick, who seems to have spent his childhood doing nothing but wielding tridents and manipulating ropes into fancy knots for nets, I guess". This shows that unlike the children of District 12 (and just like the children in the other districts) the children in District 4 begin to learn their district's industry from an early age.
Not much is known about District 4's way of living, aside from their specialization in fishing. Even their bread is tinted green because of the seaweed it contains. In Catching Fire, it is mentioned that District 4 is by the sea, of course. Its rebellious tendencies, expressed during Katniss and Peeta's Victory Tour, were described as "more of a cry for vengeance" and it was said that the crowd did not have "the weary cattle feel". This suggests that the citizens of District 4 faced severe oppression but were healthy enough (not battling starvation and poverty) to fight.
- Mags - Tribute in the 3rd Quarter Quell, Victor of an unknown Hunger Games
- Annie Cresta - Victor of the 70th Hunger Games
- District 4 male (70th Hunger Games) - Survied the Bloodbath but was later beheaded
- District 4 female (74th Hunger Games) - Died in the intial Bloodbath (film) and survied until the trackers killed her and Glimmer (book)
- District 4 male (74th Hunger Games) - Died in the intial Bloodbath