|Rebels||Woof, Cecelia, Commander Paylor, Bonnie, Twill|
- "From the simple, lovely fabrics of the districts to the brocades favoured in the Capitol, District 8 makes it all."
- ―Description from The Hunger Games: Tribute Guide[src]
District 8 is one of the poorest of the thirteen districts of Panem. Its main industry is making textiles and clothing. They have at least one factory that is primarily used for making Peacekeeper uniforms. Katniss describes District 8 as "an urban place stinking of industrial fumes with no greenery, the people housed in run down tenements, barely a blade of grass in sight."
The following jobs are offered in District 8:
- Factory worker
- Dress maker
- Warehouse manager
- District 8 female (74th HG) - Died on the 1st night, she was killed by the Careers in the film. In the book, she was killed by Peeta Mellark.
- District 8 male (74th HG) - Died on the first day (bloodbath).
- Cecelia - Victor of an unknown Hunger Games, participant in the 75th Hunger Games. Died on day 1 (75th).
- Woof - Victor of an unknown Hunger Games, participant in the 75th Hunger Games. Died on day 1 (75th).
District 8 was one of the districts that President Snow was concerned would rebel against Capitol rule. On the night when Peeta proposed to Katniss, District 8 rose up and fought against its Peacekeeping force. The Peacekeepers were caught off guard and overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of the mob. The Peacekeepers' Headquarters, the Justice Building, the armory, and the Communications Center were all secured by the rebels. However, the Capitol responded by sending in thousands of Peacekeepers and using hovercrafts to bomb the rebel strongholds. The rebels began to flee and the forward momentum slowed, then stopped. Everything went into a lockdown mode, and no one was allowed out of their houses for a while. The factories were shut down and the only time the TV played anything other than static was when it showed suspected rebel instigators being executed. Eventually things returned to normal, but the Capitol blew up one large factory when they found out the talk of rebellion started there. After the rebellion, the leader of District 8, Paylor, became President of Panem after President Snow was deposed and Katniss assassinated President Coin.
In Mockingjay, Katniss went to District 8 to visit the victims from the Capitol bombings and to broadcast a propaganda video to air in all the districts and the Capitol. When she was leaving, Boggs tells her that they need to get to the airstrip because of incoming bombers. Haymitch eventually picks Katniss, Gale, Boggs, Katniss' bodyguards, and camera crew.
Bonnie and TwillEdit
Bonnie and Twill were two people from District 8 who were trying to escape to District 13. Katniss had found them traveling through the woods surrounding District 12. They showed her a piece of bread with a mockingjay stamped on it, which is the "symbol for the rebels." They were going to District 13 because they had heard stories of people living under the District. They were leaving because the factory that the Capitol had destroyed was the one that they worked at. It was a fluke that they didn't die, Twill had worked as a school teacher and Bonnie was her pupil. Twill and her husband had planned on dressing in Peacekeeper uniforms and escaping. When Bonnie and Twill had finished their school day, they headed to the factory. However, there were large craters in the roads from the Peacekeeper bombings they had to avoid. Because of this, they were late for work, and were still a few blocks away when the whole factory blew up. Bonnie's whole family died and so did Twill's husband, so the two headed off on their own. They also told Katniss that they thought the Capitol had been using the same tape of District 13 every time they air the surface, and that during the tape, a wing of a mockingjay passed by the corner of the screen. In Mockingjay, it was revealed that the two of them never made it to District 13. They are presumed to be deceased and may have been killed by the Capitol or died of exposure in the winter forest.
- Incomes in District 8 are fairly low, because Twill mentions that she put in a four hour shift in a Peacekeeper Uniform factory after her full-time job as a teacher. Bonnie, a child, also mentions putting in a four hour shift after she gets out of school.
- The tributes from District 8 usually die within the first few days of the Games. The District 8 male tribute, though showing strength and had the odds of winning at 3-1, died during the Cornucopia bloodbath of the 74th Hunger Games, while the female tribute was killed by Cato and Peeta after starting a fire in the woods at night. Those two occurrences proved that the tributes of District 8 were often unprepared to survive the brutality of the Games. This could be attributed to the fact that District 8 is an urban district, and the tributes it produces do not have experience living in the natural environments of the arena, though some must have been skilled as they still had two known victors, Cecelia and Woof.
- District 8, like District 12 and District 13, was targeted by the Capitol the most during the rebellion.
- According to the Hunger Games promotional site, District 8 has the largest population of the districts.