The Hunger Games typically include feasts each year. Feasts are used to bring the remaining tributes together if the Gamemakers think the game is getting boring or slow. Often when food is scarce in the arena, or some of the tributes need vital equipment, the Gamemakers will invite the players to a banquet at a well-known place, such as the Cornucopia, to induce another bloodbath. Sometimes, there will be a big table of food, while other times, nothing is provided, but a stale loaf of bread that the tributes have to battle it out for. In the 74th Hunger Games, a very special feast was held; instead of food, the feast contained backpacks for each individual district that contained things the corresponding tribute needed desperately.
74th Hunger GamesEdit
- Katniss Everdeen — Peeta Mellark, being desperately wounded at this stage, needed medicine to reverse his blood poisoning and to allow for travel. Katniss went to collect it.
- Thresh — Thresh's reason behind attending the feast were unknown, as he was pretty well off, hiding in a field of corn. In the movie, it is known that he had a weapon though in the books, Thresh was armed with a rock which suggest a lack of weapon. The contains of Thresh's bag was unknown, though it is guessed that it contained food and water or in the case of the books, a weapon.
- Foxface — Based on information released later in the book, Foxface probably needed food. It is notable that only two days later she returned to stealing, when she tracked Peeta and stole his nightlock berries only to die from their lethal poison.
- Clove — Katniss speculates that the backpack contained body armor seen later in the book. Clove was the only one to die at the 74th Hunger Games feast as Thresh had killed her after she falsely claimed to have killed Rue, subsequently saving Katniss as Clove was on top of Katniss and was preparing to kill her by cutting her. After Clove was killed, Thresh and Katniss ran off, and Katniss heard Cato go to Clove's body.
- In the book, it states that the packs at the feast differed in size and color; Districts 2 and 11's packs were large and dark blue, District 5's pack was medium-sized and green, and District 12's pack was small and orange. In the film, all the packs are the same size and differ by the districts' jacket colors and the number on them; District 2 was rust red, District 5 was plum red, District 11 was chocolate brown, and District 12 was coal black.
- The book states that "Feasts always result in fatalities", showing that maybe one death, Clove, is rare and there are usually more.
- There is usually a bag for each tribute, even if they are in an alliance, however for District 12 there was only one bag, containing Peeta's medicine for his wounded leg.
- Feasts are also held if the games become too "boring", forcing tributes to clash with one another.