Hunger Games: Katniss & Rue is a short film based on a scene from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was produced by independent casting agency MainstayPro, and was directed by John Lyde. The film was produced in part as an attempt for actresses Danielle Chuchran and Savanna Kylie Lewis to earn auditions for roles in the 2012 Lionsgate film adaptation. Chuchran was able to audition for Katniss Everdeen, but ultimately lost to Jennifer Lawrence.
In February 2011, Mainstay released a sequel based on the scene of Katniss and Peeta in the cave. The video was originally filmed only as a chemistry screen test for an unrelated project and not intended to be released. As such, the actor who played the role of Peeta performed with an English accent. Mainstay released the short after an illegally obtained low-resolution version was circulated around the internet.
In July 2011, Mainstay released a prequel entitled Hunger Games: The Second Quarter Quell, which revolves around Haymitch Abernathy's experiences during the 50th Hunger Games which also has Chuchran cast as the District 1 female from the 50th Hunger Games.
- There appears to be no direct uniform.
- Rue is said to look like Prim but with dark hair and dark skin. In the film, Rue's actress, Savanna Lewis, portrays her with light skin and dark blonde hair, making her look more like Prim than Rue. (Although it was stated that they were aware of this, but simply, "Wanted to show Savanna's acting." Because, "She would make a good Prim.")
- In the short film, Glimmer is one of the last surviving Careers, but in the book, she is one of the first to die. Unless she died between the time she took down the tribute and when Marvel killed Rue, which is very likely, since Katniss had a bow and arrow.
- It is stated that it wasn't really Glimmer, that was a mistake. Most likely was meant to be Clove.
- Oddly, the tribute Glimmer killed looked a lot like Peeta.
- When Katniss gives Rue her last goodbye in the short film, Katniss used her right hand instead of her left hand for the District 12 salute.
- Danielle Churchran, who played Katniss, also appeared in MainstayPro's Hunger Games: The Second Quarter Quell, portraying the District 1 female.