Advantages and disadvantages
Projectile combat affords tributes the advantage of dealing damage to other participants in the Games and, at the same time, staying at a safe distance. However, even thought the projectile based weapon seems an excellent choice, in most cases it is down to the skill of the combatant.
- Clove - In her Games (74th Hunger Games) she is shown using throwing knives in the Training Center and in the arena. She is noted to be very skilled with them and as such she claimed many tributes' lives. As with the other Careers, it is assumed she learned how to use throwing knives in District 2's Career academy.
- Finnick Odair - In both of his Games (65th and 75th Hunger Games) he used a trident. His trident in his original Games was thought by Katniss to be 'the most expensive gift in Hunger Games history'. Like other Careers, it is assumed he learned how to use a trident in District 4's Career academy.
- Glimmer - In her Games (74th Hunger Games) she is shown to be using a bow and arrow in the Training Center and the arena. She most likely learned her skills in District 1's Career academy, alike to many Careers. She is known for also being the only other user of a bow in the 74th Hunger Games except Katniss. It is unknown if she got any kills with the bow, but it is likely.
- Gloss - In both of his Games (63rd and 75th Hunger Games) he is shown using throwing knives in the Training Center. It is assumed that he learned them in District 1's Career academy for his first games.
- Johanna Mason - In both of her Games (71st and 75th Hunger Games) she used throwing axes. It is presumed she got these skills from living in District 7. It is more than likely that using her axes she killed many tributes.
- Katniss Everdeen - In both of her Games (74th and 75th Hunger Games) and in District 12, Katniss used a bow and arrow frequently. Her primary use of the weapon was for hunting in the woods. She learned her skills from her father, Mr. Everdeen. Using a bow, Katniss killed many people and animals.
- Marvel - In his Games (74th Hunger Games) he is seen using a spear in the Training Center and later in the arena. It is presumed that he learned how to use a spear in District 1's Career academy. Using a spear, Marvel got many kills, with his most notable one being Rue.
- Maysilee Donner - In her Games (50th Hunger Games) she is mentioned to have used a blowgun. The source of her skills are unknown. It is possible that she killed many tributes, including at least one Career tribute.
- Peacekeepers - The Peacekeepers mainly use guns throughout the series. It is assumed they are trained to use them when doing their Peacekeeper training in District 2.
- Rue - In her Games (74th Hunger Games) she is shown to use a slingshot as a weapon. It is unknown where she learned how to use her weapon. Although she was said to be talented with a slingshot, she did not get any kills by using it.
- Squad 451 - Throughout Mockingjay, they have been seen to use guns as their weapons. They presumably learnt the skills in District 13 and some were very skilled with them, like Mitchell.