The 75th Hunger Games, also known as the third Quarter Quell, were the final Hunger Games ever held in Panem. Since this was a Quarter Quell, an extra twist was introduced. In this case, to remind all the districts that even the strongest among them can't overcome the Capitol, each district reaped their tributes from their existing pool of victors (59 in total). For these Hunger Games, Plutarch Heavensbee replaced Seneca Crane as head Gamemaker. This was the last Hunger Games held in Panem, but it ended with no victor.
While preparing for the games, the tributes all seemed to like each other, even publicly joined hands as a symbol of sorrow and defiance towards the Capitol. However, that changed when they went into the arena.
All 24 tributes were previous victors. Additionally, the games were unique as it was the first time that two tributes from the same district (Katniss and Peeta) both scored a 12 out of 12 in training (Making all the tributes target them.)
The 75th Hunger Games was exceptionally unique as it was the first to have no winner. It also had the largest alliance consisting of fourteen members.
Final 6 (in no particular order)
- Beetee (rescued by District 13)
- Enobaria (captured by the Capitol)
- Finnick Odair (rescued by District 13)
- Johanna Mason (captured by the Capitol)
- Katniss Everdeen (rescued by District 13)
- Peeta Mellark (captured by the Capitol)
7th - Brutus - Day 3 (killed by Peeta)
8th - Chaff - Day 3 (killed by Brutus)
9th - District 10 male/ District 5 female - Day 2 (ripped apart by unidentified mutt)
10th - Cashmere - Day 2 (killed by Johanna - got an axe blow in her chest)
11th - Gloss - Day 2 (killed by Katniss - shot in the head with an arrow)
12th - Wiress - Day 2 (killed by Gloss- throat was slit)
13th - District 5 female / District 10 male - Day 2 (killed by tidal wave)
14th - District 6 female - Day 2 (killed by monkey muttations - clawed in the chest while saving Peeta)
15th - Mags - Day 2 (killed by poisonous fog - she jumped in the fog committing suicide to save Peeta)
16th - Blight - Day 2 (killed by blood rain and force field - blinded by the blood rain and ran head first into forcefield)
17th-23rd: (All killed in the bloodbath)
- District 6 male
- District 9 male
- District 9 female
- District 10 female
24th - District 5 male - Day 1 (killed by Finnick Odair)
- Main article: 75th Hunger Games arena
The arena was designed to mimic a clock. For every hour, some form of torture designed by the Gamemakers would be activated in a section of the arena. It was split into 12 sections, each for a different hour of the day. The arena was shaped like a circle and was very small. The Cornucopia was on an island in a large, round pool of salt water. Encircling the water was a jungle. The only fresh water was rainwater stored inside the trees. There were various foods in the arena, including nuts, "tree rats," and shellfish that some tributes cooked by bouncing them off of the forcefield.
- 12-1: Bursts of lightning hit a single tree.
- 1-2: Blood rains down from the sky.
- 2-3: Corrosive fog spreads through the jungle.
- 3-4: Orange monkey muttations attack.
- 4-5: Jabberjays torture the tributes with their loved ones' screams.
- 5-6: Unknown
- 6-7: Unspecified muttation that rips its prey apart; Peeta calls it the "Beast."
- 7-8: Unknown
- 8-9: Unknown
- 9-10: Unknown
- 10-11: Tidal wave hits the beach.
- 11-12: From the sound of clicking, Katniss guesses that it could be insect mutts with pincers.
This cycle was repeated periodically to match the time, with each hour triggering a new event. Each event therefore occurred twice a day. The cycle began on midnight of the second day, and the Quarter Quell ended just after midnight of the fourth day. Each event was triggered eight times except the lightning, which was triggered nine times.
The outfits in the book were fitted blue jumpsuits made of sheer, billowy material with zippers down the front. Each suit came with a six inch wide padded belt covered in purple plastic, which was filled with purple liquid and could be used as a flotation device. The shoes were nylon with rubber soles.
In the film, the Arena outfits were identical for all tributes (unlike the 74th Hunger Games), and were black with dark grey sections over the outer-thighs and chest, and light grey sections over the shoulders (non-black sections were patterned with circles). Elbow pads and knee pads were also provided, as were black nylon boots.
- This is the only Hunger Games in which the age restriction (12-18) are not followed, as past victors are selected as tributes, although two tributes (Katniss and Peeta) were still in the age limit.
- The ending of the 75th Hunger Games marks the start of the Victors' purge.