This is the unofficial timeline of The Hunger Games trilogy detailing major events as they occur or are described throughout The Hunger Games series.
This timeline uses an unofficially recognized, non-canonical calendar system in order to provide a relative reference to events in the trilogy. The origin year will be based on the Dark Days, as they mark the year immediately preceding the establishment of the Hunger Games by the Capitol. The designations used to label years will be B.D.D. (Before the Dark Days) and A.D.D. (After the Dark Days).
As this has yet to be completed and many events of the past, present and future have yet to be revealed, the timeline is still under construction. Many events will have approximate dates or will be listed as unknown.
The Panem Era (? BDD - 1 BDD)Edit
- Following the end of the global disaster that devastated the world, the nation of Panem is founded and segmented into a regent Capitol and thirteen outlying districts over what was formerly the continent of North America. The Capitol rules absolutely and brutally, confiscating all of the districts' supplies and resources in order to support their lavish lifestyle, leaving the district people largely impoverished.
- Mags is born.
- President Coriolanus Snow is born.
The Hunger Games Era (1 ADD - 73 ADD)Edit
- The Hunger Games are established by the Capitol in order to solidify their rule over the districts. During the same year, the 1st Annual Hunger Games took place.
- Woof is born.
- Greasy Sae is born
- Mags from District 4 becomes a Hunger Games victor after winning the 9th Hunger Games
- The 7th - 13th Hunger Games are held.
- The two Morphlings from District 6 are born.
- The 10th Hunger Games are held.
- Sometime during this time period, Woof from District 8 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- The 12th - 18th Hunger Games are held.
- Seeder is born.
- The 15th Hunger Games are held.
- Beetee is born.
- The 20th Hunger Games are held.
- Sometime during this period, the two Morphlings from District 6 emerged as victors.
- The 21st - 24th Hunger Games are held.
- The 25th Hunger Games take place, operating under the unique rules of the first Quarter Quell: during the reaping, instead of being selected by the reaping, the tributes were voted by their respective districts.
- Sometime during this time period, Seeder from District 11 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- The 26th - 31st Hunger Games are held.
- Sometime during this time period, Beetee from District 3 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- Sometime during this time period, Brutus is born.
- The 32nd - 38th Hunger Games are held.
- Chaff is born.
- The 33rd Hunger Games are held.
- Haymitch Abernathy is born.
- The 34th Hunger Games are held.
- Wiress from District 3 becomes a Hunger Games victor after winning the 38th Hunger Games.
- Sometime during this time period, Brutus from District 2 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- Sometime during this time period, Lyme from District 2 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- The 39th - 44th Hunger Games are held.
- The 45th Hunger Games take place. Chaff from District 11 is victorious. He loses his hand during the event.
- Enobaria is born.
- The 50th Hunger Games take place, operating under the unique rules of the second Quarter Quell: twice the regular number of tributes are selected during the reaping, resulting in a total of 48 tributes. Sixteen-year-old Haymitch Abernathy from District 12 is victorious.
- Finnick Odair is born.
- The 51st Hunger Games are held.
- The 52nd - 55th Hunger Games are held.
- On May 8, Katniss Everdeen is born.
- Peeta Mellark is born.
- Madge Undersee is born.
- Delly Cartwright is born.
- Cato is born.
- The 58th Hunger Games are held.
- Cecelia from District 8 becomes a Hunger Games victor.
- During this time period, Rory Hawthorne is born.
- Primrose Everdeen and Rue are born in 62 ADD. Prim is born in late May.
- The 60th, 61st, and 62nd Hunger Games are held. During the 62nd Hunger Games, Enobaria from District 2 emerges victorious.
- The 63rd Hunger Games are held. Gloss is the victor.
- The 64th Hunger Games are held. Cashmere is victorious, following her brother, Gloss, who won the year before.
- The 65th Hunger Games take place. Mags mentors fourteen-year-old Finnick Odair from District 4, who emerges victorious.
- Vick Hawthorne is born.
- Gale Hawthorne, at the age of 12 is entered into the reaping bowl for the first time for the 68th Hunger Games.
- A mining explosion in District 12 during the month of January, kills the fathers of Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorne. Days later, Posy Hawthorne is born.
- Three months later in April, Peeta Mellark secretly gives a starving Katniss two loaves of bread.
- The 70th Hunger Games take place. Annie Cresta from District 4 is victorious, though witnessing the decapitation of her district partner renders her mentally unstable.
- Peeta and Katniss, both at the age of 12, are entered into the reaping bowl for the first time.
- The 71st, 72nd, and 73rd Hunger Games take place. Johanna Mason from District 7 emerges victorious in the 71st Hunger Games.
The second rebellion Edit
- The events of The Hunger Games occur.
- The 74th Hunger Games take place. During the reaping, 12-year-old Primrose Everdeen is chosen to be the female tribute from District 12, though her older sister, 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, volunteers in her place. 16-year-old Peeta Mellark is chosen to be the male tribute.
- Many tributes are slain, including Katniss' little ally, 12-year-old Rue from District 11, to whom Katniss sings a lullaby in her dying minutes. After Rue dies, Katniss covers her in flowers to show that Rue was more than just a piece in the games.
- Claudius Templesmith announces that if both of the tributes from the same district can make it to the end, then they can both win.
- By the end of the game, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark of District 12 are both pronounced victorious by Head Gamemaker, Seneca Crane, in the first ever dual victory in the 74-year history of the Hunger Games. They achieve victory by threatening to commit double suicide when it is announced that the rule change is illegal. Only one person may be the victor. They threaten to eat Nightlock, a poisonous berry. Both Katniss and Peeta are announced victors, so as to not be without a victor at all. Their defiance incites the beginnings of the second rebellion. Seneca Crane is executed for causing this outcome.
- The events of Catching Fire occur.
- The second rebellion, led by Plutarch Heavensbee, covertly begins to gain momentum as unrest spreads throughout the districts of Panem.
- Katniss Everdeen meets Bonnie and Twill in the woods, and Katniss begins to get curious about District 13, because they gave hints about it still existing.
- Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, and Haymitch Abernathy embark on the 74th Hunger Games Victory Tour.
- During Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark's speech in District 11, Peeta promises that 1 month of their winnings from the hunger games will go to the families of Rue and Thresh. The District acknowledges their kindness with a salute. The Capitol then guns down some of their citizens in fear of a rebellion.
- An uprising occurs in District 8 as citizens revolt against the Peacekeepers on the night of Peeta and Katniss' interview. The Capitol eventually subdues the rebellion through the use of bombs and secures the District.
- The 75th Hunger Games takes place, conducted by Head Gamemaker, Plutarch Heavensbee, and affected by special rules in honor of the third Quarter Quell: the 24 tributes selected will be chosen from the current pool of Hunger Games victors. Katniss and Haymitch are chosen for District 12, though Peeta volunteers to take Haymitch's place.
- The 75th Hunger Games are abruptly ended when Katniss destroys the outer force field surrounding the arena. Six competitors remain by this time; three of them (Peeta Mellark, Johanna Mason, and Enobaria) are captured by the Capitol, while the other three (Katniss Everdeen, Finnick Odair, and Beetee) are rescued by Plutarch Heavensbee to be transported to the remains of District 13, the headquarters of the second rebellion.
- The Districts all begin to rebel. At some point communications go out in Districts 7,10, and 12. District 11 gains control of transportation bringing hope of food to the other rebelling districts.
- Within fifteen minutes of the ending of the 75th Hunger Games, District 12 is obliterated with fire bombs by the Capitol. Gale Hawthorne helps survivors, including Primrose Everdeen, Ms. Everdeen, and his own family to safety.
- The events of Mockingjay occur.
- It is revealed that District 13 was not obliterated at the end of the Dark Days. District 13, instead, secured its existence with the Capitol in exchange for not causing a nuclear war. It becomes the center of the rebellion.
- Katniss Everdeen agrees to become the Mockingjay, the symbol of the rebellion.
- The rebellion begins to secure some of the districts from the Capitol, including District 8.
- The Capitol begins to bomb District 13 in the hope to destroy it and resolve the war, but are unsuccessful due to a warning from Peeta Mellark. Prim and Gale were almost killed while trying to save Buttercup but made it to the deep underground bunkers on time.
- District 13 attempts a rescue mission to the Capitol to secure the four remaining victors (Peeta Mellark, Johanna Mason, Annie Cresta, and Enobaria). The mission is a success, but Peeta is found to have undergone psychological torture from the capitol using tracker jacker venom and is extremely hostile towards Katniss. All memory of Katniss has been warped and changed and Peeta tries to kill her.
- The rebels begin a campaign to take the last remaining district, District 2, in which Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorne are a part of. District 2 is successfully secured.
- Katniss Everdeen is shot on live TV but survives.
- Peeta begins to show signs of recovery.
- Annie Cresta and Finnick Odair are married, and their ceremony is aired as a propo.
- Katniss trains to take part in the assault of the Capitol with her fellow victor, Johanna Mason. Both make it to the soldier qualifying exam, however Johanna has a nervous breakdown from her aquaphobia.
- Katniss Everdeen, Gale Hawthorne, Boggs, Finnick Odair, Leegs 1 and 2, Cressida, Messina, and Jackson are chosen to be part of Squad 451, otherwise known as the Star Squad. They are chosen to be filmed and televised while they help in the effort to take the Capitol.
- Leeg 2 dies in combat from a bullet, and Peeta Mellark is handpicked as her replacement. He still has not shown full recovery.
- Peeta shoves Mitchell into a pod, made out of the fence of District 12. Mitchell dies.
- Boggs is killed by a landmine and Katniss Everdeen is deemed the leader of the Star Squad. Katniss leads the Squad in a mission to assassinate President Snow.
- The Star Squad makes it into the inner city of the Capitol, where they are pursued by lizard mutts. Finnick Odair, Leeg 1, Jackson, Messina, and Castor die.
- Gale Hawthorne is captured by Peacekeepers and gets away. He gets shot twice in the process but survives.
- Katniss and the remaining members of the Star Squad attempt to reach the President's mansion. The City Circle is revealed to be full of Capitol children, and shortly after a hovercraft bearing the Capitol seal drops explosive packages onto the children. Primrose Everdeen, one of the rebel medics sent to help the children after the first wave of explosions, is killed in the subsequent explosion. The bomb that killed Prim, was supposedly made by Gale. Katniss also suffers severe burn wounds from the bombing.
- The rebels take control of the Capitol, thus ending the War.
- Once physically recovered, Katniss is chosen to carry out President Snow's public execution. The remaining victors meet and vote to continue a Hunger Games with Capital children. A conversation with Snow reveals that it was President Coin, leader of District 13, who ordered the bombing of the children that caused Prim's death. Katniss proceeds to assassinate President Coin instead of Snow. However, Snow dies in the moments after, his cause of death is never affirmed.
- In an emergency election, rebel Commander Paylor is voted in as president.
- Katniss is deemed mentally unstable and is sent to live her remaining days in District 12, along with Haymitch Abernathy, Peeta Mellark, and Greasy Sae. Katniss makes a slow recovery from her emotional trauma.
- Katniss and Peeta make a book.
- Annie Cresta gives birth to her and Finnick's son.
The Republic Era (>75 ADD)Edit
- President Paylor is instated. She abolishes the Hunger Games, builds memorials to all the fallen tributes, and establishes a republic government for Panem. It is assumed that Panem exists in a relative state of peace.
- District 12 begins to rebuild. Coal is no longer mined, but they begin to grow food, and the Capitol starts construction of a factory for medicines in District 12.
- Gale goes to work in District 2.
- Mrs. Everdeen goes to start a hospital in District 4.
Around 77 ADDEdit
- Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark get married.
Around 90 ADDEdit
- Katniss and Peeta Mellark have a daughter, who is described as having Katniss' hair colour and Peeta's eye color.
Around 97 ADDEdit
- Katniss and Peeta have a son who is described as having Peeta's hair color and Katniss' eye color.
Around 99 ADDEdit
- The epilogue of Mockingjay takes place.