Training scores are rankings given to tributes after their private training session in front of the Gamemakers. They range from one to twelve, with one being the lowest and twelve being the highest. The scores give the people in the Capitol an idea of which tributes have the best chance in the arena, and therefore, which ones to bet on.
Other tributes often use the scores to decide who will be a threat to them during the Games.
Private Training SessionEdit
The scores are decided privately on the last day of training. The tributes are called into the Training Center one at a time; the male preceding the female from each district, starting with District 1 and ending with District 12. During their session, they can work at any of the stations, such as camouflage, bow and arrow, or knife throwing. The Gamemakers watch the tributes and evaluate their performance. After fifteen minutes, or once the Gamemakers believe that they have seen enough, they dismiss the tribute and call in the next.
Most tributes desire the highest scores possible. The Career Tributes generally score between eight and ten. Sometimes, tributes aspire for a low training score so they appear anemic and frail, but then catch the rest of the tributes off guard. Johanna Mason, a female tribute from District 7 and the winner of an unknown games, successfully used that strategy. An unnamed male tribute scored a 3 before winning his Games.
The night after the sessions, the scores are televised to all of Panem. Each tribute's photo is shown with their district, score, and odds of winning.
74th Hunger GamesEdit
- Marvel - 9, presumed for his skill with spears.
- Glimmer - 9, presumed for her skill with a bow and arrow.
- Cato - 10, presumed for his skills with multiple weapons and physical strength.
- Clove - 10, presumed for her knife throwing skills.
- District 4 male - 8
- Foxface - 5, presumed for her intelligence, and intellect with plants.
- District 6 male - 5
- District 7 female - 9, presumed for her axe skill, coming from District 7 (the lumber district).
- Thresh - 10 (book); 9 (film), presumed for his physical strength.
- Rue - 7, presumed for her climbing skills and intelligence with plants.
- Peeta Mellark - 8, for physical strength.
- Katniss Everdeen - 11, for her skill with a bow and arrow, and her fierce temper. (Highest training score in the 74th Hunger Games)
75th Hunger GamesEdit
- Peeta Mellark - 12, for painting a picture of Rue, covered in flowers.
- Katniss Everdeen - 12, for hanging a dummy with the name "Seneca Crane" in red paint.
Haymitch speculated that Katniss and Peeta were given high scores to make them targets of the other tributes during the games.