A tribute token is something that each tribute is permitted to bring with them into the Hunger Games arena, which can represent their district and remind them of home. However, tokens will be confiscated if they break the rules of the Games, as will anything that can give the tribute an advantage. A token is usually something that can be worn so the tributes may keep it with them easily.
The concept of a tribute token is seemingly eliminated from The Hunger Games film, as Cinna appears to sneak in the mockingjay pin. However, it is apparently reintroduced in the Catching Fire film; Effie mentions she has obtained matching gold tokens for Haymitch and Peeta to go along with Katniss' mockingjay pin and her own gold wig, to show that they are a team.
The 50th Hunger Games/2nd Quarter Quell
- Maysilee Donner, District 12; Mockingjay pin- later used by Katniss Everdeen during the 74th and 75th Hunger Games.
The 74th Hunger Games
- Glimmer, District 1; Ring- this ring was taken away from her before the Games began once the review board realized that twisting the gemstone caused a poisoned spike to pop out. She claimed she had no clue about this, but it was still taken away. It was the only known confiscated token.
- Rue, District 11; Wooden charm shaped like a star or flower worn on a length of woven grass- Rue mentions that it brings good luck. It reminded Rue of the fields she worked in.
- Katniss Everdeen, District 12; Mockingjay pin- A tiny pin given to Katniss by Madge Undersee. It was almost taken as the sharp part of the pin could be used as a weapon (although Katniss never used it for that reason) but it managed to make it through.
The 75th Hunger Games/3rd Quarter Quell
- Katniss Everdeen, District 12; Mockingjay pin- See above.
- Peeta Mellark, District 12; Mockingjay medallion, modeled after the pin- The medallion was also a secret locket, which contained a picture of Gale smiling, and Katniss' mother, along with Prim. Peeta later gives it to Katniss, as a gift, trying to use it to convince her that she has to win the games, not him.
- Finnick Odair, District 4; Gold bangle with flame pattern- This token was first worn by Haymitch Abernathy. He gave it to Finnick to tell Katniss to make him an ally, as he could later help her in the games. At first, Katniss was slightly confused with the fact that Finnick had the bangle, and thought he stole it from Haymitch, but then realized that Haymitch had given it to Finnick to send her a signal. It is unknown if he had an original token from District 4, before he was given Haymitch's token.
- A girl from an unknown district (possibly 7): Wooden ball- Just before the games, while standing on the pedestal around the Cornucopia, the ball was accidentally dropped onto the ground before the gong sounded and she was blasted into pieces by the landmines. She had to be literally scraped off the ground to be taken back in the hovercraft.
- ↑ The Hunger Games, Chapter 16