Back in December, photos of the Mockingjay set at the Atlanta Marriot Marquis were released on the Web. The photos depicted an official Capitol building with twelve podiums that had the names of every Hunger Games victor. Several names were released including all of the district four victors.
Of course, I was excited. I think every hardcore Hunger Games fan wants to know who the victors were.
I am beginning to question the accuracy of the podiums though. Here is a list of reasons why:
- The book clearly states district 12 had two victors before Katniss and Peeta, but the podium only lists Haymitch.
- District four only has six victors, which is less than district seven and allegedly district five. This is odd considering district four produces some Career tributes.
- The ages do not make sense. For example, Justin Hix is listed as having won before Megan Hayes on the district six podium, but Hix, 26, is significantly younger than Hayes, 33.
- A girl named Mellanie Lumb from district seven allegedly won the games after Johanna Mason, but Johanna was the only living female victor from seven at the Quarter Quell reaping. Unless Mellanie died young of unnatural causes, this does not seem right.
- The names of the victors are either the names or surnames of the actors, or they were found on the Vulture Hunger Games Name Generator. This leads me to suspect the set designers were careless in designing the podiums. The podiums were likely only meant for decoration, and chances are fans will never see the names listed on the podiums in entirety.
I acknowledge each of these statements can be argued.
- The film might have chosen to exclude the other district 12 victor the same way they chose to exclude Madge from the films.
- District four was not a Career district in the films.
- Actors can be aged up or down. Cecelia, for example, is supposed to be in her 30s, but is portrayed by 26-year-old Elena Sanchez.
- Why would the producers have gone through the trouble of designing the podiums and making up names for the victors? The podiums were not necessary.
A quick word: I notice there is a lot of inaccurate information about the podiums on the Wiki. People have posted the number of victors in districts one, two, three and five. The only decent quality photos of the podiums I can find are for districts four, six, seven, eight, nine, 10, 11 and 12. Unless you can provide evidence on the page or on the comments, do not post any information as official here.
So, what do you think? The Mockingjay set podiums are legimate -- real or not real? WebRep currentVote noRatingnoWeight